Migration was a defining issue in the UK’s June 2016 referendum on EU membership. This page brings together resources and analysis informing the exit process and our previous analysis of the referendum.
Our work on Brexit has been supported by the Migration Observatory’s core funders, the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust, the UK in a Changing Europe initiative, Trust for London and other ESRC funding
Rights of EU citizens
- Unsettled Status? Which EU Citizens are at Risk of Failing to Secure their Rights after Brexit?
- Where will the burden of proof lie for EU citizens demonstrating their rights after Brexit?
- Here today, gone tomorrow? The status of EU citizens already living in the UK
Migration policy after Brexit
- Labour Immigration after Brexit: Trade-offs and Questions about Policy Design
- What would UK immigration policy look like after Brexit? (Pre-referendum)
- Project unclear: Uncertainty, Brexit and migration (Pre-referendum)
- Potential Implications of Admission Criteria for EU Nationals Coming to the UK (Pre-referendum)
- EU Migration, Welfare Benefits and EU Membership (Pre-referendum)
Trends in EU migration before and after Brexit
- What to look for in the quarterly migration statistics after the referendum
- Pounded? Currency devaluation and migration to and from the UK
- Article 50: Shades of grey, or black and white?
- Pulling power: Why are EU citizens migrating to the UK? (Pre-referendum)
- Increase in permanent residence grants after the referendum is just the tip of the iceberg
- Government faces a formidable task registering over 3 million EU citizens already living in the UK
- Migration Observatory reviews potential post-Brexit immigration policies (Pre-referendum)
- Agriculture, hospitality and retail would be most affected by cuts to EU migration (Pre-referendum)
- New guide to data on EU migrants’ use of welfare benefits (Pre-referendum)
- Spain, Italy and Portugal join Poland, Romania and Hungary as key countries driving the growth of the UK’s EU migrant population (Pre-referendum)
- Number of UK born people living in EEA countries, 2015 (Pre-referendum)
- EEA citizens living in the UK, by years since arrival, Q1 2015 (Pre-referendum)
- Share of UK workforce meeting income requirements (Pre-referendum)
- Distribution of EU Migrants in the UK (Pre-referendum)
Migration and Brexit
Explained: EU Migration to the UK (Pre-referendum)